Sunday, August 12, 2012

After 3 months of training, the City2Surf finally arrived.  I was pumped this morning ready to run like I've never run before. But that wasn't in the cards for me this race.  My injury from last Sunday seemed to have disappeared but as I took my first steps down William Street over the starting line, the excruciating pain hit hard and didn't let down for the entire run.  Next to fail me was my iPod. I had spent ages last night arranging the songs and charging it all night but for whatever reason, it didn't charge fully, so I decided to save the battery for heartbreak hill.  It lasted 2 songs and died completely.  The first 10km of City2Surf is predominantly uphill so you could imagine how stoked I was to hit the other side, but what next, oh my bib had come undone on the left side, the side that the wind was blowing on. So from 11km I was hanging on to my bib with one hand.  As I got into Bondi I knew I wasn't going to make my first goal time of 1:30.  The disappointment of not making my goal time with all the issues along the way had me emotionally spent but I knew if I dug deep I could make my back up goal time of 1:35.  I was nearly in tears on the home stretch and I remember seeing the finish line about 300m ahead.  I repeated my mantra "Dream, Believe, Aspire" all the way to the finish line.  I had made it. All the way. Despite all the issues, I had completed the City2Surf.

today, 12 August 2012 - (race - City2Surf) 14km in 1:34.25

No comments:

Post a Comment